Opened in November 2006, the Mount Pleasant District History Room is the repository for the historical material pertaining to the previous Mount Pleasant District Council area, which includes the townships of Eden Valley, Springton, Mount Pleasant, Tungkillo and Palmer.
Opening of the Mount Pleasant District History Room by Angus McLachlan, descendant of the Melrose family. Robert Melrose originally gave the land for the building of the Mount Pleasant Soldiers’ Memorial Hall, and towards the building. The collection began with the material collected for the writing of the district history – The Quiet Waters By: the Mount Pleasant District 1843-1993 – written by Reg Butler. We are largely a paper-based collection with many photographs, newspaper cuttings and biography files.
Paula Bartsch, Curator, was awarded the inaugural SA Regional Historian award from the History Council of South Australia in 2014, and with a small team of people, continues to preserve the collection for public use.
Check out the Mount Pleasant Cheer Up Hut – a part of the 2016 SA History Festival